Think of that what you will — transgressively funny, stupid, hateful. But why are the authorities involved?!
The Princeton police are investigating. The staff at the high school, which has 1,640 students, is meeting with the game’s players as well as student leaders. The Board of Education issued a statement saying, “Princeton Public Schools does not tolerate prejudices of any kind.”The link goes to the NYT, which features a pleasing photo of the teenaged blogger, Jamaica Ponder. (Nice name!) I have no problem with her. I just don't know why a party game with sides named after historic adversaries is any business of the police. The NYT — which omits the comments section on this one — casually mentions the police. It gives readers no cue to notice the huge free-speech problem.
How many games have 2 sides like that? I wonder what would happen today if children played cowboys and Indians (as we did back in the 1950s)? I assume there are many video games in which Jews fight Nazis.
Doing my own research, I see that the "Jews vs. Nazis" game didn't originate with these Princeton students. It's been around among high school students for a while.

0 Comments